Saturday 27 April 2013

I need some advice about an impending visit to my city by an ex-boyfriend.

I need some advice about an impending visit to my city by an ex-boyfriend.
I dated "Brian" in college for about a year. He had liked me for a while and kind of swooped in while I was in an incredibly emotionally vulnerable place and going through a rather traumatic breakup. He brought me coffee, was there for me, and within weeks was in my bed. He is incredibly smart and sweet and really liked me, but at the time -- honestly, he was kind of a loser. He was smoking a lot of pot (I went to a West Coast public school, so this was not anti-social behavior by any means, but still), was slacking in his classes, and generally not trying at any aspect of his life.
After about a year of dating, I finally got over it and dumped him. We were in the same group of friends and continued to hang out, and over the years we've developed a strong friendship. He got his act together, finally graduated college, and is now attending grad school and pursuing his dreams. I'm proud of him. Likewise, he's been really supportive of me through the years as well.
Last summer, I was back on the West Coast visiting friends. I had been single for a while, was not feeling particularly connected to anyone, and ended up sleeping with him. It was not expected but we had a good time. Since then, he's been texting me fairly regularly, and sometimes his messages are suggestive. I do text back, but typically am dismissive of the sexual innuendo. I haven't told him that the texts occasionally make me feel uncomfortable.
I've been living on the East Coast for a few years now and he's always talked about how he'd like to visit but can't afford it. Earlier this year, he started talking about visiting again, and I told him it would be great to see him, but I didn't really take his comments seriously. But then he let me know that he went ahead and booked plane tickets to my city -- for a full week in April (he is coming next week).
I am angry that he didn't actually consult me about when it would work for me to have him visit, or whether I was actually comfortable with him staying with me for that amount of time. I'm in school and April is a very busy time for me. I live in a tiny studio and don't have a couch or any other place for him to stay. I know he can't afford to stay in a hotel. I don't know if he has any other friends in the area he can stay with, but I know that he's assuming that he'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent post

love healthy and beauty